Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Thanks Belle


Over the last week, I’ve been devouring back posts from A Belle in Brooklyn (http://www.abelleinbrooklyn.com/).  Several people have told me I would enjoy her work and they were right.  She is a Maryland girl (from just outside of DC) living in New York and I’m a Jersey Girl (who stopped over in New York) living in DC.   Why wouldn’t I enjoy her work given the braiding of our paths?

She lays it all out on the page in a way that is admirable.  Her newer posts are good, a mix of efforts through her various major media blogging gigs and follow up after her recently published book.  But I’m more enjoying the older stuff.  From where when she was hungry and young working to figure out what love, life and the pursute of happiness meant to her.  When she’s mad, she says so, when she has a bad break up, she tells it. 

She writes something everyday; even if it’s to tell her readers she’s working too hard, or too upset from recent events to write.  It’s gritty and raw and pulls you in like the daytime soaps.  She changes the names to protect the sometimes not so innocent but tells her own stories completely naked. No spin to make herself seem more put together or flashier than she is.

Sometimes, when you can’t find the right words to express your state of mind, reading someone else’s works just as well.  It takes some courage to admit you don’t have it all figured out and even more to really stop trying and be at peace right were you are.  That Belle; she’s got me excited to throw a party right here – right were I am.  I can’t even see perfect from where I’m standing and I’m starting to kinda like it.

All yours - BCG

No comments:

Post a Comment