Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I heart...


Dear Washington, DC –

I have to tell the truth and shame the devil.  I am in love with New York. 

I’ve tried to hide it; say I’ve moved on.  Tried to bring my heart along to where my mail goes.  But there I was, outside of Radio City Music Hall for my niece’s NYU graduation and I could not deny the flutter in my chest. I could hear the soothing water fountain across the street even with the rush of midtown traffic.  The McGraw Hill building winked at me over the tops of the city buses.  There is now a Rain bath store right in Rockefeller Center. When did she do that? I spent two years trying to get more of the damn Rain bath salts I bought from South Africa to no avail.  There she goes, showing off, making it so that I can buy them whenever I want now on 49th street.

I know, I know, I am supposed to love you, DC, just as much or even more.  I’ve now lived in the district longer than NYC and I were together.  I really should be all-in by now.  But the heart does not answer to time.   

I’ve tried, I promise I have.  I eat at every new district restaurant that pops up – I have the extra 15 pounds to prove it. I went to the Cherry Blossom festival this year and watched the whole parade.  OK, I didn’t watch the whole thing, or anything close, but I watched some.  The part with the tumblers and the flowers, that was great.

I saw Chuck Brown 7 times (may he rest in peace).  I even have a go-go song that I like.

Yes, its true, I adore how intellectual everyone is and that I learn something new at happy hour on a random Tuesday. And I now have a whole new respect for the art that is Sunday brunch. All of those things are nice, but they just aren’t enough.

Washington, sweet dear Washington. You have been good to me. The jobs, the friends, the experiences, you have given it your all.  You are that warm comfy sweater; a safe place to be.  I wish there was more between us, I do. 

DC, I love you, but I’m not IN love with you.

In New York, I am free.  She understands me and there is no box to fit into, no uniform, no pretending. It is comfortable and right and the chaos makes sense with me in the middle of it.  New York brings out the best me.  And I love her for it.

"True love cannot be found where it truly does not exist, 
Nor can it be hidden where it truly does."   

Standing in Time Square, H&H bagels, ice skating in Bryant Park – these things warm my heart.  I still get excited walking up to Madison Square Garden.  I just don’t feel the same walking by the White House or the Capitol. 

I hope that we can still be friends, DC.  I know you are going to be a little upset for awhile after reading this; you’ve given all you have to this relationship.  We are just so different, I don’t know that it was ever really destined to work out.  Please trust that you are lovely and it’s not you, its me.

Eventually, you will forgive me, and realize there are tons of girls that will love you the way you should be loved.  Hopefully one day soon, we can sit on the mall, enjoy a Georgetown Cupcake and a glass of Virginia wine laughing about the good times we have shared.  You can explain to me why DC guys all wear that kaki pants, blue blazer with gold buttons, blue shirt, red tie uniform around town.  We can joke and make fun of Maryland and West Virginia.  Yup, we will be great friends you and me DC, now that we can both admit that my heart belongs somewhere else.

Your Big "NY is really my City" Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment