Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nope, I don't want your leftovers


For the last few days I have been taking part in a nation-wide fundraiser to help bring awareness to poverty throughout the world.  For this week, everyday people and celebrities alike (with me included…in the every day people category J) agree to feed themselves below the global poverty line of $1.50 a day.  It has been an interesting, eye-opening experience to say the least.  I wasn’t expecting to get so much out of it.

·      You can eat and not go hungry on $1.50 a day, but it is not healthy and it is boring as hell.  I won’t be eating rice and beans for a little while.  You can’t afford fresh fruits, healthy cuts of meats, or really anything more than commodities like beans or carbs like rice.  I’m sure I could have had more actual food but after the great lent ordeal of 2012 I was allotting part of my $1.50 a day to a bulk purchased can of diet soda.  I know…judge all you will, I’m fine with it.
·      You have a lot of time to think when you aren’t focused on meals.  I found myself contemplating what I value a lot.  What would a sacrifice like this mean in a long-term commitment?  How could I live my life differently and help other people if I were willing to sacrifice some of the luxuries I have come to believe were staples?  When I told a work friend what I was doing, she told me the story of a man she knows who contributes 60% of his salary to a food bank in DC.  He has donated over $1 million to this charity to date.  It go me thinking about the small changes I could make that would add up.  What if I survived on $5 a day, what are the possibilities?
·      I thought about my circle of friends and family.  If I am willing to do this for strangers I have never met, what more could I be doing for the people I love and cherish?  It made me think about my pride and those people in my life that I love but who are presently at a distance because I am too proud to know how to fix it.  And those that have just drifted away who I could easily just call or go see.  Why is it sometimes easier to try and fix the world’s problems rather than those right at home?
·      It opened me up to unexpected conversations.  The seeds of a plan have been sown for me and a family member to do a missionary building trip to Haiti.  There have been so many ways people I care about have come to me and I have gone to them for help and support over the last days.  I don’t know if that would have happened under other circumstances.
·      And finally, people are quick to loose their minds.  I have had several friends offer to buy me meals (If you don’t have to pay, it doesn’t count, right?)  And for those people I say thanks for trying to be supportive.  But I wanted to stay true to the cause and taking a $6 sandwich would be cheating. I’m not actually (at this moment) broke.  (I really think they forgot).  Yet still there were others who offered to allow me to eat after their leftovers.  As if I really was a child living in the streets of an Indian slum. (I won’t be eating all of this potato, so if you want to come by my desk and “find it” I would be ok with that). I don’t know what to do with those folks.  I’ll chalk it up to good intentions.

Overall, it made me think about what I value.  What I am willing to give up, and what I don’t, won’t, or can’t live without.  Amazingly, the live without column ended up being a lot shorter that I realized it could be.  And I was surprised by what was actually on that list.

If you haven’t yet, please consider making a donation to my page at:

Your BC Girl – below the line

No comments:

Post a Comment