Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chi City High


So I have not given ample time to the airports that take me on my little journeys here, there, and where ever. Given the amount of time I am enjoying at O’Hare in Chicago, I think today is just as good a day as any to change that.

My original plane looked all well and good to the naked eye.  But to think we were ready to go would be a mistake.  The window, the one the main pilot, not even the assistant pilot needed, was broken.  All agreed this was something that needed to be addressed, but I became concerned about the method when rags and things that looked like duck tape started coming out of the tool kit.  I have certain expectations for the planes that take me around, and windows secured in place with more than duck tape is now on the top of the list.

Mercifully, they cancelled this flight, but the mad dash was a ruckus and everyone has been fighting for standby seats ever sense.  Personally, I’m excited not to be on the duck taped plane, so I’ve been spending my time making new friends.

There was Donna, at standby gate number one who was waiting for her delayed fight to LaGuardia, NY.  She suggested that I punch the woman at the customer service desk to get some better customer service.  I’m not 100% sure if she really thought that would help my situation or had such a bad week that seeing someone fall to the ground knocked out was what she needed to get her back on the right track.  I love a true New Yorker.

Next was the young guy Mark who had been sitting next to me in the waiting area.  He had gone to get a piece of pizza when the cancellation was announced.  When he came back, every seat on every flight straight through Tuesday had already been taken and the standby list was 40 deep.  He reminds me of a guy I used to know and was having the cutest conversation with his girlfriend about how he was going to miss her when she went away next month.  It was warm and sweet and he navigated being honest and not a punk in an adorable way.  I wanted to give him a thumbs up and let him know he was doing a good job, but I’m sure that would have been crazy - so I just read my book.  He’s still down at customer service trying to get home on Wednesday.

Now I’m sitting across from Peter and junior.  It is like looking at one person with a photo of himself in his youth.  I always love it when sons look like their fathers; it makes you understand the pride of being a parent.  They share mannerisms and gestures; even the way they sit slumped in the seat is the same.  Those must be the moments that touch you in a complex way as a mom.  Looking at version 2.0 of the man you love and seeing all of those gestures that make you love him more everyday in another human being.

And my last friend was Marcus.  Who when he saw me looking quizzically at the departure board offered to be of help.  He works here at the airport but after explaining my details he admitted that he worked in a totally different area and could not help at all, but pretty girls should not be lost alone.  I let him know that I needed to get on one of the next and last flights out and he offered that I didn’t need to leave at all.  He would just keep me.  He’s been here at the airport for 16 years and has a pension...that was his response to me loosing my job for not returning to DC.

So there you have it.  Let’s hope I get on the next flight…your girl is a little bit tired and could use a hug.

Your Friendly Skies bgc

No comments:

Post a Comment